Skip to main content

Portabello Mushroom Steak

I was soooo shocked at this quick, yummy, and VEGAN alternative to steak. So simple to make and definitely a meal packed with lots of nutrition.

Portabello Mushroom Steak with mashed potatoes and roasted veggies

Recipe- Portabello Mushroom Steak

4 tablespoons of vegetable or olive oil (I used a mix of both)
1 lemon
salt
black pepper
portabello mushroom (sliced or whole- I used pre-sliced)
tumeric
cumin
season all salt


In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, the juice of 1 lemon, and the seasonings to taste. I added tumeric for the extra health benefits, but this is not neccesary. This mixture will serve as the marinade for the portabello steaks. Place the mushrooms into the marinade and allow them to sit for about 20-30 minutes flipping or mixing them after the first 15 minutes. If using whole portabello mushrooms, keep them top down in the marinade. 


For the cooking, I simply used my George Foreman grill, but I am sure that a regular skillet or an actual grill would have worked just fine as well. I placed a couple slices on the grill (it only has one heating setting.... on or off) and allowed them to cook on each side for about 3-4 minutes. I did end up having to flip them on the grill because it did not seem as though the top gril was cooking the mushroom.

This was such a good meat alternative, that is very nutrient dense. These mushrooms are very high in fiber, high in vitamin B which is essential for ocular care (what my research is on!), and is a great source of selenium and potassium. I am by no means a doctor....or planning on becoming THAT type of doctor, but anything that tastes good and is good for your insides is fine by me. Highly recommend! 10/10

Also I am an A1 Steak Sauce fan and I added that to my mushroom steaks, but they were definitely good enough to eat on their own.

Follow me on Instagram to see more yummy meals as I make them (@12bri45). Comment down below any other recipes you would like to see!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earl Grey Tea

Tea Time Tea is my all time favorite drink! There are so many different flavors and types for all sorts of health and dietary needs. This section of my blog will showcase my favorite teas and why I enjoy them! Earl Grey Earl Grey Tea is a black tea with a slight citrus flavor. This tea is packed with caffeine (55-90 mg per cup) which makes it a great alternative for a morning coffee, while still allowing you to get a head-start on your daily water intake. This tea is named after Earl Charles Grey, who was the prime minister of England from 1830 to 1834. There are many stories that attempt to explain why Earl Charles Grey was given the honor of having a tea named after him, but none seem to agree with each other. Whatever the story behind the name, no one can deny the bold flavor this tea delivers. I enjoy this tea several different ways. The brand I use is Bigelow and is pictured below. Traditionally, tea is steeped in hot water. However, I especially like this tea steeped in

1st Week of Graduate School

Hey everyone! Life has been so crazy! Since my last post, I have moved from New Orleans to Oxford, Mississippi (which has been a HUGE adjustment in itself) and also started graduate school. I've had to deal with somewhat of a culture shock during my transition here, and a terrible bout of homesickness. Nonetheless, school eventually started and I had to kick everything into super high gear and get my life together. This post takes you through my experience during my first week of graduate school. My first "real" week of graduate school was actually the 2nd week of August. During that time, I took care of the boring things. I had to fill out paperwork for Human Resources, get parking passes, go through an obnoxiously long safety training for my laboratory, get transcripts, register for classes, all of that.  During that week I also took a series of preliminary exams which allowed my advisor to see where I was academically and place me in the appropriate classes. So I&#

Ole Miss Bound

Hello everyone! If you are following my Instagram page (@12bre45), then you probably saw that I recently announced that I would be attending the University of Mississippi this Fall. This is such an amazing opportunity for me and definitely did not come easily. So in this post, I wanted to take some time to explain the process I went through to finally be Ole Miss Bound . *Also, before reading this post, it would be helpful if you have already read my post Choosing Biochemistry . On to Plan B As I have mentioned before, I changed my major very late in the college game. But in doing so, I had discovered something that I was truly passionate about. Although I had finally taken all of these biochemistry classes and had a lot of research under my belt, I still did not feel prepared for graduate school. Graduate school applications are usually due sometime during the fall semester when you're applying for the next fall semester. This is when sooooo many things finally occur