Skip to main content

My Vegan-Ish Journey

Hello everyone! Yes, it is true! I have taken the plunge. Gone all-in. Went cold turkey...erhmmm...cold veggies is probably a better term. But anyways, YES! I am officially a vegetarian, working towards veganism.




I began this journey on March 8, 2017. Which I know that was not that long ago, but everyone has to start somewhere, right? I'll just give a brief explanation for my transition and then tell you what this new section of my blog will be about.

This all started at the end of February and I was watching some of my favorite YouTubers and 3 of them, on 3 separate occasions, had mentioned the movie Cowspiracy. Now, I don't think that any of these YouTubers know each other. And if they do, it is just a crazy coincidence. But THEN, on instagram, I saw someone mention the movie again. So on Tuesday night, I decided to just look up the movie and it was on Netflix. So I watched it. And about 30 minutes in, I was sold. I had heard everything I needed to hear about the environmental problems our world faces from agri-business.

Now this was a major personal decision for me. I decided that I no longer wanted to contribute to something that was hurting the planet. This post isn't meant to preach at anyone (because quite frankly, it's your life-- I say live it). I just wanted to share my journey with the world.

Vegan-ish

This new section of my blog will feature foods that I have been cooking at my home. New foods that I have tried and enjoyed. If you're interested, I can list recipes or ingredients here as well. But this is mainly so I can keep track of what foods I have been loving, because I get stuck trying to come up with meals sometimes. Laughing...but serious. Anyways, I titled it Vegan-ish because that's what I consider myself. I already don't eat any dairy, or cheese. I occasionally eat eggs (super rarely). But I still have some strides to make to cut out all animal products entirely. So I'm Vegan-ish. Make sense?

I am so excited to share this journey with you all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earl Grey Tea

Tea Time Tea is my all time favorite drink! There are so many different flavors and types for all sorts of health and dietary needs. This section of my blog will showcase my favorite teas and why I enjoy them! Earl Grey Earl Grey Tea is a black tea with a slight citrus flavor. This tea is packed with caffeine (55-90 mg per cup) which makes it a great alternative for a morning coffee, while still allowing you to get a head-start on your daily water intake. This tea is named after Earl Charles Grey, who was the prime minister of England from 1830 to 1834. There are many stories that attempt to explain why Earl Charles Grey was given the honor of having a tea named after him, but none seem to agree with each other. Whatever the story behind the name, no one can deny the bold flavor this tea delivers. I enjoy this tea several different ways. The brand I use is Bigelow and is pictured below. Traditionally, tea is steeped in hot water. However, I especially like this tea steeped in

1st Week of Graduate School

Hey everyone! Life has been so crazy! Since my last post, I have moved from New Orleans to Oxford, Mississippi (which has been a HUGE adjustment in itself) and also started graduate school. I've had to deal with somewhat of a culture shock during my transition here, and a terrible bout of homesickness. Nonetheless, school eventually started and I had to kick everything into super high gear and get my life together. This post takes you through my experience during my first week of graduate school. My first "real" week of graduate school was actually the 2nd week of August. During that time, I took care of the boring things. I had to fill out paperwork for Human Resources, get parking passes, go through an obnoxiously long safety training for my laboratory, get transcripts, register for classes, all of that.  During that week I also took a series of preliminary exams which allowed my advisor to see where I was academically and place me in the appropriate classes. So I&#

Ole Miss Bound

Hello everyone! If you are following my Instagram page (@12bre45), then you probably saw that I recently announced that I would be attending the University of Mississippi this Fall. This is such an amazing opportunity for me and definitely did not come easily. So in this post, I wanted to take some time to explain the process I went through to finally be Ole Miss Bound . *Also, before reading this post, it would be helpful if you have already read my post Choosing Biochemistry . On to Plan B As I have mentioned before, I changed my major very late in the college game. But in doing so, I had discovered something that I was truly passionate about. Although I had finally taken all of these biochemistry classes and had a lot of research under my belt, I still did not feel prepared for graduate school. Graduate school applications are usually due sometime during the fall semester when you're applying for the next fall semester. This is when sooooo many things finally occur