Skip to main content

Being a Student-Athlete

I get asked all the time: What was it like being an athlete while in college? For those of you that don't know, I ran both Cross Country and Track during my four years at Xavier University of Louisiana. Running in college taught me some of the most valuable lessons I could have learned throughout my entire college career. Even if you're not a student-athlete, the things that I learned are great tips to help make your college experience a success.



My Experiences As A Student-Athlete

I came to Xavier on a full academic scholarship with a partial athletic scholarship to run Cross Country. This meant that I was of course required to keep my grades up (above a 3.3) and also dedicate my time to competing for my school. Starting my freshman year, my schedule looked a lot like the following:

5:00 - 7:30 am - Morning Practice
8:00 - 3:00 Classes/ Lunch
4:30-7:00 - Strength Training or some other practice
7:00-8:00 - Dinner
9:00 - until - Homework/Study

Throw quizzes, exams, and projects in there, and that's a pretty busy daily schedule. So I was dedicating about 5-ish hours everyday to practice and the rest of my day studying, doing homework, and sleeping.

As a student-athlete at the collegiate level, the team also traveled to various places to compete against other schools. Travel usually took place on Fridays and then we raced and came back to New Orleans on Saturday. That being said, not much homework or studying occurred on Friday or Saturday for me. Oftentimes, I would also be missing a class or two due to traveling on Fridays. All of these things taught me a lot about getting my life together in college.

The first thing being a student-athlete taught me was the importance of Time Management. With such a busy schedule, time management was the most important thing I could have learned. I was essentially forced to utilize every spare moment I had for either homework or sleeping. And then, I had to find a god balance between both.... because if it were left up to me, sleep would win over everything every time. I also had to stay on top of my class schedule based on my syllabi so I would know if I was going to miss an upcoming quiz or exam due to traveling. That would I could plan ahead and be prepared to take my exam early if that was what my professor wanted.

The next thing I learned from being a student-athlete was how to Learn Independently. Because of my travel schedule, I would miss classes and therefore miss lectures and material that would be on the exam. Even though I was absent from the class, I was still expected to know the material. So keeping up with my syllabus and keeping up with the readings were very important. I had to learn how to read my textbook and actually learn from in on my own. Because my schedule was so busy, it was difficult to go and visit professors during their office hours. So Independent Learning was definitely something I needed to learn, and how to do it effectively.

The last thing I learned from being a student-athlete was how important it is to have a Support System. My teammates are like a family to me! We had to be around each other for at least 5 hours everyday. So of course, we bonded! We were all on the same time schedule and because of this, we were able to hold each other accountable for getting our work done, while also keeping each other sane. We went on many adventures together and helped each other to stay up and study when necessary. We understood each other's struggles and because of this, we were a great team, both on and off the field!





 Want to see more pictures?

Instagram: @12bre45







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Earl Grey Tea

Tea Time Tea is my all time favorite drink! There are so many different flavors and types for all sorts of health and dietary needs. This section of my blog will showcase my favorite teas and why I enjoy them! Earl Grey Earl Grey Tea is a black tea with a slight citrus flavor. This tea is packed with caffeine (55-90 mg per cup) which makes it a great alternative for a morning coffee, while still allowing you to get a head-start on your daily water intake. This tea is named after Earl Charles Grey, who was the prime minister of England from 1830 to 1834. There are many stories that attempt to explain why Earl Charles Grey was given the honor of having a tea named after him, but none seem to agree with each other. Whatever the story behind the name, no one can deny the bold flavor this tea delivers. I enjoy this tea several different ways. The brand I use is Bigelow and is pictured below. Traditionally, tea is steeped in hot water. However, I especially like this tea steeped in

1st Week of Graduate School

Hey everyone! Life has been so crazy! Since my last post, I have moved from New Orleans to Oxford, Mississippi (which has been a HUGE adjustment in itself) and also started graduate school. I've had to deal with somewhat of a culture shock during my transition here, and a terrible bout of homesickness. Nonetheless, school eventually started and I had to kick everything into super high gear and get my life together. This post takes you through my experience during my first week of graduate school. My first "real" week of graduate school was actually the 2nd week of August. During that time, I took care of the boring things. I had to fill out paperwork for Human Resources, get parking passes, go through an obnoxiously long safety training for my laboratory, get transcripts, register for classes, all of that.  During that week I also took a series of preliminary exams which allowed my advisor to see where I was academically and place me in the appropriate classes. So I&#

Ole Miss Bound

Hello everyone! If you are following my Instagram page (@12bre45), then you probably saw that I recently announced that I would be attending the University of Mississippi this Fall. This is such an amazing opportunity for me and definitely did not come easily. So in this post, I wanted to take some time to explain the process I went through to finally be Ole Miss Bound . *Also, before reading this post, it would be helpful if you have already read my post Choosing Biochemistry . On to Plan B As I have mentioned before, I changed my major very late in the college game. But in doing so, I had discovered something that I was truly passionate about. Although I had finally taken all of these biochemistry classes and had a lot of research under my belt, I still did not feel prepared for graduate school. Graduate school applications are usually due sometime during the fall semester when you're applying for the next fall semester. This is when sooooo many things finally occur